About Them Curls - Part One.

Let's establish a few rules first:

  1. This is a girly blog post. I am a girl. Shocking, I know.
  2. You do not control your curls, they control you. You simply provide the best living conditions.
  3. There are no good photos of me. Most are just really blurry.
  4. I'm a firm believer in loving your curls. Look after them and they'll reward you.
As my lovely Nessie moved to more humid corners of the earth (read: Southeast Asia) the need for a proper curly hair control blog post has been amounting. Here it is.

This is me. I'm wearing giant birthday glasses with candles on them:


I do have curly hair. It's just not sure what it wants to be when it grows up so it fluctuates between wavy, curly, and ramen hair.

This is ramen: 

These are the pearls of wisdom that I have uncovered after years of looking after them curls:
  • Hairbrushes are the enemy.
Only blush your hair with your fingers in the shower when it has tons of conditioner in it.
  • Really mild shampoo or no shampoo.
THIS is a shampoo I swear by, and I only swear by Clinique. The coconut pieces take a while to wash off but it's easier if you use a conditioner.



  • Moisturised doesn't have to mean clumpy sticky hair.
Also, use the hair mask or whatever comes in a tub instead of the conditioner. Like one of these beauties. And keep in mind that curly hair needs more than just a dime sized drop at the ends of your hair.


  • Olive oil for a hair mask actually works.
Cold pressed olive oil is wonderful. Keep it on for half and hour then shampoo.
  • Argan oil is magical.
It IS!! I get mine when I visit Morocco, that stuff doesn't come cheap! Put a drop in your palm, apply to the ends of the hair first then work your way up.
  • Gravity makes a difference.
So does towel drying. Never go against the direction of hair or rub your hair. Lean forward, topple your hair and gently wrap it in the towel. It'll dry. Try and see what happens if you braid it while it's drying, you never know!

Next post: The Curly Quick-Fix! Stay tuned!



Comments

  1. Hahaha! I LOVE IT! I started using Schwarzkopf this weekend, I'll give it a few more days to see if it's good for me. I do all the curly-hair basics (no brushing, braiding while it's drying, etc). The only thing is that I was my hair daily after workouts, so I need super mild products. I hate serums, at least the ones I've tried, they just grease up my hair (and my hands!).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

A halala for your thoughts?

Popular Posts